By: Grace O’Brien
Horse shows: we love them, and we hate them. There are so many ups and downs that we go through while showing. Despite everything that may go wrong during a horse show, one thing is for sure: we are hooked.
1. Weeks before the show you start doing as much research on your competition as possible.
2. Getting to the show grounds the day before you show with your friends like…
3. But that night the reality sets in that you’re going to have to show in front of a judge…
4. The next morning you pull yourself together and walk into the show grounds like…
5. You try getting your horse to come near you for a pre-show pep talk but it doesn’t really work out.
6. You get your horse ready for the show ring and while you wish they looked like this:
They actually look like this:
7. You head to the ring to warm up and see your friends and family cheering for you.
8. While you’re warming up you to try to be discrete about looking at your competition and it looks more like this:
9. Your warm up goes decently well, and you’re feeling kind of ready.
10. But then the nerves set in…
11. Your trainer gives you some words of encouragement and off you go!
12. You trot into the ring and pick up the canter but feel like this inside:
13. You give the course the best you got – or at least try to
14. The judge and the ring steward watch your ride like…
15. While your trainer is watching at the in-gate like:
16. Finally your division is over and everyone tries to get their horses to stand still in the lineup, but it ends up looking like this:
17. You’re sitting in the line up minding your own business when you hear your name called for first place:
18. You leave the lineup to take pictures, and as you wait for your victory gallop, you pause to take it all in – all of the hard work, sweat and most likely tears, has paid off.
19. After you take care of your horse and hug your trainer, you then go raid the horse show’s concession stand…
Followed by a nap on the closest tack trunk: